Case Price: $954.00 (6 x 750ml)
|Our Price: $159.00 / bottle (RRP: $180.00 )||Case: 6 x 750ml|
'Wow this takes Margaret River to another level. There is a purity of fruit and a vibrancy evident here. Power and elegance unlike anything seen before in the region.'
99 Points - Ray Jordan
Vasse Felix, Margaret River's founding wine estate, was established by Dr Thomas Brendan Cullity in 1967. Among his first plantings were Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec vines, from which he produced the estate’s first red wine. The Tom Cullity descends from these original vines and represents the pinnacle of Vasse Felix.
Slightly lower yields in our old Malbec blocks, combined with an incredibly precise Cabernet vintage has seen the portion of Malbec reduced slightly this year. All blocks were destemmed only, without crushing and then allowed to ferment naturally. The Petit Verdot, a small section of Malbec and small portion of Cabernet (making up 24%) were open fermented, hand plunged and pressed dry. The remaining 76% of the Cabernet and Malbec was static-fermented, gently pumped over through a splash tub and then left on skins for up to 34 days; allowing the wine to stabilise and become structurally sound in such a brilliant year for tannin ripeness. The small sections were basket pressed to fine French oak and matured for 18 months with minimal racking.
Another text-book vintage in Margaret River with consistent, almost rhythmic temperature patterns throughout the ripening season, resulting in excellent balance and physiological ripeness of fruit. Reasonable yields were obtained despite a handful of blocks being exposed to heavy storms in spring reducing their cropping potential, but overall quality is excellent.
Varietals: 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 16% Malbec, 4% Petit Verdot
Cellaring Potential: Now until 2038
Harvested: March - April 2014
Oak:French Oak Barrique, 62% new, 38% 1-4 year old, 18 months
Residual Sugar: 0.62g/L
Bottled: December 2015
A very pointed and pristine perfume with immense complexity. Lively fruit from this vintage is preserved precisely. The oak and savoury complexity is intricately interwoven yet the immense power of the fruit, while delicate, is brimming with character. Notes of red currant, cranberry jam and raspberry pips give way to agar, gravel, a hint of peppermint tree, mushroom and bark. The palate is vibrant with mouth-watering cranberry freshness and while light, is juicy, precise and balanced with remarkable fine grained tannins. Long cassis and cherry pip flavoured tannins create a dry and fine finish. A significant Cabernet of uniquely delicate proportions.
'Wow this takes Margaret River to another level. There is a purity of fruit and a vibrancy evident here. Power and elegance unlike anything seen before in the region. Oak and fruit with grainy tannins in perfect harmony creating an almost satiny mouth feel. Perfumed with notes of cedar and red berry and violet. A raw edge with graphite and seaweed complexity. The chalky tannins define the palate, which is focused and sustained. Best drinking: Now until 2040'
99 Points - Ray Jordan
'This is a single-vineyard wine at the pinnacle of the endeavors of Vasse Felix. Opens with red fruits in the redcurrant and red-cherry zone, showcasing fresh red and purple flowers and some deeper blue-fruit notes. The palate's the thing though: The way in which the malbec entwines itself around cabernet's linear tannins and enriches the wine without fundamentally changing its shape is genius. Supple, fresh and commanding Margaret River red. A very insightful blend of predominantly cabernet sauvignon with 16% malbec and 4% petit verdot. Best from 2022. Screw cap.'
98 Points - James Suckling
'Medium to deep red/purple colour, not that dark. The bouquet is beautifully complex and detailed, with tobacco, leafy, blueberry, violets and dusty foresty overtones. The fruit flavours are bright and intense, poised and very elegant. Blueberry and violets in abundance. Fine-grained tannins, fine structure. A lovely wine. (16% malbec, 4% petit verdot)'
97 Points - Huon Hooke
'I couldn't see the fuss at first - and then it hit me. It's a blend of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 16% Malbec and 4% Petit Verdot. It sees 62% new French oak and while there's oak to be tasted here, the fruit has largely soaked it all up. It's a cracking wine. It seems light at first, both in colour and flavour, but as it breathes it blossoms and once you've spent time with it then it really begins to boom. The power is all under the bonnet; there's nothing particularly flashy about it. It tastes of camphor and blackcurrant, mint, anise, black olive, bay leaves and smoky oak. Tannin is a kind of crescendo of its own, though it's not an island: there's fruit here, gloriously ripened, picked just before it went too far. Length here is quite outstanding.'
96 Points - Campbell Mattinson
Adelaide Hills$16.99 RRP: $20.00
Coonawarra$51.99 RRP: $69.99
Hunter Valley$239.00 RRP: $250.00